Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mind Your Manners

My family (children) desperately needed a lesson in manners. Any bodily function at the table is a-go, complaining about a gross dinner is fine, screaming at each other is a normal way to communicate, and if screaming doesn't work then hitting should get the message across.

I finally decided that a FHE lesson on manners was overdue. We spent a wonderful weekend at my parent's cabin and when my kids complained about Grandma's chicken noodle soup, I was very embarrased.

The next Monday night I prepared a lesson on manners. It went very well and the kids were enthusiastic about participating. We have a jar on the table, and when someone is caught showing good manners we put some glass rocks into the jar. We hope to fill it by the end of the week and then do something fun as a family. It's only been two days and the jar is half full. It's fun to watch the kids be so kind to each other, say please and thank you, and then run to put some rocks into the jar. They are very proud of themselves and I am proud of them, too.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT IDEA! What if your child hits the other and then says I'm sorry, I love you... what do you do then??? HA

Shelby said...

What a great idea! Mind if I steal it? I have a 2 1/2 year old that will hit and then run and put herself in the timeout chair!

The Kriloff Klan said...

I love that idea! I am also glad that somebody else has that same problem! I thought it was only my own brats.....I mean adorable loving childern!

Heather said...

Wendy you are a gem! What a fabulous idea, I will surely steal it when my time comes.

Andrea Gunnell said...

That is a great idea! I hope your jar is full by the end of this week so you can do something fun together!

Meredith Ferrin said...

Hey Wendy!!! You come up with the greatest ideas.....I'm interested to see how it goes....It must be fun to have such polite kids, hopefully you taught them a great lesson. I think I'll use this same idea!

meredith

F Montierth said...

Awesome idea!!! Now if only I could take that jar with me when I'm out grocery shopping or driving. I think then I will run less of a risk of being run over. ;0)

Flo

Meredith Ferrin said...

Hey Wendy!! We finally have a blog.....I'm pretty proud of myself for figuring this out...let me know if you need help, I might be able to help you!!

Unknown said...

Yeah you have a blog I am so excited!!

Jana said...

Hey you! I never chitty chat with you anymore! Cute blog! Let's get together!!!

Natalie said...

Wendy-I love your blog! It's funny how we have some similar ideas! I hope you can get your kinks worked out with your posts. I'd be more than happy to help if you need it! Because I'm SO experienced and knowledgeable! Please know I'm only kidding! Check out our site anthonyandnatalie.blogspot.com

Natalie