Monday, July 21, 2008

Can You Say...Cryptosporidium?

Last Wednesday I took my kids to the Tempe Town Beach Park for a few hours of fun in the water. We had a great time and Taryn was so cute playing in the water. I even thought it was so cute when she tried to drink the water that was spouting out of a little whale's head. Little did we know that the water was contaminated with a feces-born parasite called cryptosporidium!!!

Friday evening on the news it was reported that the park was shut down because of the parasite. Great, I thought, I hope none of us get sick.

Saturday around 5:00 a.m. it hit me. I was running to the toilet and it's been my closest friend even up until today.

I called the City of Tempe and they were very kind, sympathetic and apologetic about what had happened. Apparently, I was the first one to call and report an illness. My kids have been o.k., thank heaven! Taryn has a bit of diarrhea but seems to be acting just fine.

We're supposed to leave on a vacation this Saturday. I've lost two days of preparation and I still don't know how much longer it will be until I feel like myself again. I get a little stressed when I think about everything that needs to be done before we go. Steve is a huge help, though, and I know he'll do everything he can to help us get ready.

Lesson: expect the unexpected when you go to public recreational swimming venues, make sure kids have clean swimming diapers, don't drink the water, maybe just don't go at all :(

5 comments:

Andrea Gunnell said...

I am so sorry to hear you were so sick! It sure makes you not want to go to public swimming pools...Yikes!!!

Jana said...

I did see that on the news! You'll laugh about it later... maybe. I hope you're all well and good to go for your vacation or I'll just have to go for you!!!

Heather said...

Wendy! That is just crap! (literally) I am so sorry. Buck up sister and get going on your vacation, you deserve it. I hope you feel better soon.

F Montierth said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! With all the medical cases Kent sees, he's extra cautious around public areas with water. He doesn't want Isaac dipping his toes in let alone wading in it. I guess I use to think of him as a kill-joy, but now I see his point! Say hi to the family for us!

lackrik said...

YIKES! I saw that on the news and can't believe you guys were there!

Hope you feel better soon! ((HUGS))