Thursday, July 10, 2008

Holiday Weekend








We had a great weekend that began with a ward breakfast party. We sang patriotic songs, said the pledge of alliegance, listened to a patriotic story, had a bike parade and enjoyed a pancake breakfast. It was a great way to begin the 4th of July weekend. Whenever I say the pledge I get a little choked up. As a child, you just said the pledge out of habit at school. As an adult, I think about its meaning and I am filled with gratitude for our great country.



I stayed up late the night before the parade in order to decorate the girls' bikes. I thought they turned out pretty good. Although, our tissue paper flowers remind me more of a Mexican Fiesta than an Independence Day Parade. Oh well, the girls and I had fun making them.



After our ward party we headed up to my Mom and Dad's cabin in Pinetop. I must say, though, this is more of a home than a cabin. Instead of quading we watched cable. Oh well, the kids were happy. We enjoyed the beautiful weather, tooks lots of walks, ate way too many sweets (I did at least), enjoyed a contentious game of Settler's (at least there was no cussing this time) and enjoyed my mom's delicious cooking. What is it about being up north that makes me so hungry. I'm always snacking up there. It was a little hard to come back down to the heat, but at least we can look forward to other get-aways.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Sounds like your 4th was great! Ya know, we have some friends that LOVE the game Settlers! Is it really that fun? We still haven't played it before. Maybe we'll have to set up an adult game night some time. Hmmm....yes we will!

Heather said...

Fun weekend! I love the cabin, the food, the company and Settler's! Glad you could get away to cooler weather.

Jared Gunnell said...

At least you lost the game!

Jana said...

Our family missed the parade since it was hours of the morning that my family does not see! Very cute job decorating!